Become a DRRA Member
DRRA opened on August 3, 1958, and has grown to a 600 family non-profit membership association. The main pool and baby pool were refurbished in 2014. The main pool is 600,000 square feet in an “L” shape configuration with three diving boards. There is also a baby pool for children 5 and under, a bathhouse, and a snack bar. Donaldson Run is located in the Donaldson Run watershed adjacent to Marcey Park and Potomac Overlook Regional Park. The pool is open from Mid May to late September.
Donaldson Run offers many instructional and exercise programs for the benefit of its members throughout the summer:
- Swimming lessons
- Early-bird and evening lap swimming
- Water aerobics and amphibious Bootcamp
- Competitive swimming and diving in the Northern Virginia Swimming League (NVSL)
Membership Wait List
The DRRA by-laws limit the number of voting shareholder members to 600 families. Eligible families must join the membership waitlist by submitting an application and $50 non-refundable fee. Applications are processed in the order they are received. Over the past five years, the shareholder turnover has averaged 40 families per year. The waiting period for shareholder membership is approximately 7 to 9 years. However, there are special membership categories that allow you to use the pool while you remain on the waitlist.
Special Membership Categories
There are two special membership categories designed to allow applicants on the waitlist to use the pool with restricted privileges.
- Full Summer Membership— In order to accommodate as many families as possible on the waitlist, the Board of Directors may grant summer use privileges for a year to families at the top of the waitlist. Full Summer membership entitles the applicant and his/her family to use DRRA facilities during a summer season under the same rules applying to shareholder members, except that no shareholder rights of any kind are conferred by the granting of Full Summer membership. At the election of the Board, approximately 200 families are invited to swim for the entire summer as Full Summer members. The waiting period for Full Summer membership is approximately 4 to 5 years. If you decline an offer to swim as a Full Summer member you must pay an inactive fee to maintain your place on the waitlist. Full Summer members may participate on the Swim and Dive Teams.
- August/September Membership— Beginning on August 1st through the end of the season, entitles the applicant and his/her family to the same benefits and restrictions as Full Summer membership. If you decline the invitation for an August/September membership for a season, your slot on the waitlist is not affected and you will be invited to swim the next year if possible. August/September membership is generally immediately available to all families when they join the waitlist. August/September members may participate on the Swim and Dive Teams for the entire summer season.
The full shareholder membership initiation fee is $2,700 payable when notified by the Membership Coordinator that the Board of Directors has approved your application. The initiation fee consists of an initial capital contribution ($2,500) and a processing fee ($200). The capital contribution is refundable if you resign from the Association.
Each year every membership of our 600 shareholders pays an annual membership fee assessed according to the costs of operating the pool. In 2022 the annual membership fee is $500 (this includes the summer fee for the shareholder). A usage fee for using the pool during the summer swim season is based on family size.
For example during the 2022 season:
- The Active Shareholder member dues for a family of 4 are $755 which includes the $500 membership fee and the summer usage fee for the shareholder and 3 other people
- The Full Summer dues for a family of 4 are $955.
- The Aug/Sept dues for a family of 4 to swim beginning in August is $480
If you decline the invitation to become a voting shareholder member when you reach the top of the waitlist, you will forfeit your place on the waitlist and must reapply. There are no special privileges for applicants reapplying.