Frequently Asked Questions-
When does the 2021 Season begin and end?
DRRA will open on Saturday, May 08-Sept 19. Check out the Calendar & Hours for the daily schedule.
What are the rules concerning thunder and lightning?
Lightning/thunderstorm, water condition policy
- DRRA will close when lightning and thunder are seen and/ or heard or within 10 miles of the facility.
- DRRA will open 30 min after the last lightning or thunder is seen or heard
- DRRA pool water will close whenever the pool bottom in all areas is not clearly visible. Flash flooding, downpours, and cloudy water are examples of this occurrence. DRRA pool will open as soon as conditions improve.
- When a staff person or loudspeaker announces to exit the pool or the pool water, you must immediately follow the directive.
- For your safety when you exit DRRA for a thunderstorm/lightning you are not allowed to stay anywhere on the property inside or outside the fence (use of showers/snack bars/changing rooms is prohibited). If no safe shelter is available, you should take shelter in a hardtop vehicle; don’t touch the radio dial or the door handles—especially if they are metal. The goal is for you to return home for your safety.
- Sitting outside in any location of DRRA property is prohibited during inclement weather and can lead to loss of membership privileges.
- Staff will also seek shelter and will not be made to put their lives in danger due to the failure to follow the safety protocol.
- Due to the amount of electricity in the area, we will not answer the telephone or cell phone until 30 min after clearance for inclement weather. The closing is announced on our Twitter or website and will be announced when open.
- Protocol for swim and dive events–
- Due to lack of space inside the bathhouse and for the safety of all staff everyone except the: General Manager, Assistant managers, Swim and Dive team Reps lifeguard, front desk, snack bar staff on duty, are to exit the facility and go to safety.
- Marshals at the event should help with the exit and safety of all participants and spectators.
- All food, beverage, and vending will stop at the first announcement of closure and will stay closed until DRRA is cleared to open. NO SALES are allowed in the parking lot.
- Those that can not safely take cover in their cars are expected to leave DRRA property and seek shelter.
- Communication with the visiting team to DRRA policy is required by Team Reps prior to the swim or dive meet.
Who made the rules for DRRA and COVID 19 requirements? The rules for safely operating a pool in each Phase of the Governor’s re-opening plan are strictly defined by the Virginia Department of Health and enforced by the Arlington County Board of Health, which issues DRRA’s operating permit. The DRRA Board COVID 19 opening committee reviews these rules and determines the best way for DRRA to operate, balancing pool utilization for all members with the need to maintain all health and safety protocols.
Is the swimming pool water itself a risk for transmitting the virus? No. There is no evidence that the virus that causes COVID-19 can be spread to people through the water in pools, hot tubs, spas, or water play areas. Proper operation and maintenance (including disinfection with chlorine and bromine) should inactivate the water’s virus.
Am I required to wear a mask when entering DRRA? As of May 18, DRRA updated its policy. Those fully vaccinated do not have to wear a mask however VDH requires a mask to be worn at all times when entering our facility for those not fully vaccinated. Also, all must still keep 6 feet from a non-family member who lives with you to wear a mask at all times in the facility and ten feet in the pool water The Board fully supports these sensible guidelines, and masks must be worn at all times when not swimming in the pool itself. or in your seat.
Are guests allowed? yes, when open for general swim times.
Why at General Swim sometimes there is no lap swim? General swim means the facility is open. Review the HOURS OF OPERATION to see which areas are open or closed. Lap lanes can be closed due to swim and dive practices, special events, meets. Check the Google calendar for events and times the deviate from the HOUR OF OPERATION.